GearJunkie EDC/Tech Section Editor
GearJunkie.com is the leading voice of outdoor recreation, news, and product reviews. Serving more than 3 million readers monthly, the website defines the conversations among those who are passionate about camping, hiking, skiing, hunting, and more.
GearJunkie seeks an Everyday Carry/Tech section editor to help grow our burgeoning audience in this dynamic market.
Our EDC/Tech editor will have deep and passionate subject knowledge of knives and other everyday carry implements like multitools, watches, and wallets. They will also have a good understanding of outdoors-oriented tech like GPS devices, apps, and audio equipment.
Can you argue the benefits of various knife steels? Do you weigh the pros and cons of USB-C versus Firewire? Can you tell us details about your favorite wallet, watch, and sunglasses? If so, we want to talk with you. If you can do all this with the written word, we really want to talk.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Everyday Carry/Tech Leadership
- Create and execute a strong editorial plan to grow the EDC/Tech audience
- Create and maintain an effective editorial calendar, utilizing your own researched ideas and pitched topics from freelance writers/Lola team members
- Perform in-depth keyword research to target high-volume, high-opportunity keywords in daily articles and content pieces
- Within the content ideation process, discover products and content to include within the articles
- Manage remote content writers and content upload freelancers: assign topics, edit content before publishing, give feedback, hire and terminate as needed
- Write your own engaging, well-researched posts
- Act as liaison to third-party agencies and partners pertaining to GearJunkie
Who You Are
- Knowledge of and interest in EDC and Technology
- Editorial experience in EDC/Tech and/or online product reviews
- Experience writing at a professional level
- Must have a growth mindset
- Tech-savvy and able to adapt to new online platforms
- Detail-oriented self-starter able to manage several work streams at once
- Firm understanding of the English language (spoken and written)
- Basic working knowledge of HTML, SEO, Photoshop, WordPress, Google Analytics
- Editorial experience in camping, hiking, and backpacking, and/or online product reviews
- Experience working with brands (including manufacturers and retailers)
- Experience managing and/or working with remote teams
- Audience traffic analytical skills
- Very strong writing and editing skills
- Participate in problem-solving, brainstorming, and strategy discussions
- Be a flexible, present member of the team, helping where you can, when you can
- Communicate needs and concerns with management as soon as they arise
How to Apply
Send your cover letter and resume to [email protected] with the subject line “Application: GJ EDC/Tech Section Editor” to be considered. If a Lola employee referred you, be sure to include that in your email.
As a minority-owned business, Lola Digital Media is dedicated to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion in all that we do. It’s not just about growing our already diverse team, but about the role we can have in being a part of the broader global conversation.