Assistant Editor, News
Are you interested in contributing to the Newsroom to support Lola Digital Media’s category leading digital media publications, such as GearJunkie, Switchback Travel, BikeRumor, and iRunFar? Keep reading!
We are looking for a high-energy, versatile assistant editor with general outdoor recreation and/or automotive knowledge. This full-time, contract position will support the Lola Digital Media news gathering team with line editing and news writing as needed. The successful candidate will be proficient in fact-checking, copy editing, WordPress, and content management systems.
The ideal candidate will also have working experience in news gathering and reporting. They will work quickly to finalize stories before publication on multiple websites.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Quickly line edit news stories of between 300-1,500 words
- Write news stories of the same length based on press releases, other sources, and research
- Identify potential news stories
- Be available for urgent edits during a set period of time daily
- Coordinate assignments with an awesome team of writers
- Mastery of written English, with at least one year of professional experience writing and editing.
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, English, communications, or related field.
- WordPress skills and mastery of AP format are musts.
- Strong editor; text, images, and formatting
- Extreme attention to detail
- Reasonably strong SEO skills
- General outdoor recreation knowledge is a major plus (and the cherry on top would be if you had general automotive knowledge as well!)
This is a fully remote, contract position. Success in this role may lead to full-time employment and benefits. The compensation range is $3,200-$3,500/month, with an expected workload of 40 hours per week.
How to Apply
Send your cover letter, resume, and samples to [email protected] with the subject line “Application: Assistant Editor, Newsroom” to be considered. If a Lola employee referred you, be sure to include that in your email.
As a minority-owned business, Lola Digital Media is dedicated to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion in all that we do. It’s not just about growing our already diverse team, but about the role we can have in being a part of the broader global conversation.